CIF has opened up sports starting February 1st through June 12
Practices and competitions may begin as soon as allowed by the California Department of Public Health/County Health/District
Notes from CIF
Each league will determine the season of sport for each of its sports. There will be no playoffs this year.
Football: Due to safety protocols set by the CIF, and Sports Medicine Advisory Commission (SMAC), Football play must conclude no later than April 17th. If the county is not in the orange tier by the start of competition, football may not be able to have a season.
Inter-Team Competitions: As a reminder, CDPH has authority over when the inter-team competition (i.e. two teams) may take place. Current guidance has a date of January 25th, 2021. No athletic competitions except for those matching colored tier during their season of participation.
Equity: CIF bylaws 504.D/505.C- Leagues shall provide equal opportunity for all students to participate.
Conditioning: During the school year all SJS schools will adhere to CDPH and county health guidance.
Masks: Masks should be worn at all times by all individuals participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated. Exceptions are Cross Country, Track, Swim.
Cohorts: Current CDPH guidelines state: Athletes and coaches should cohort by a team, and refrain from participating with more than one team over the same season or time period”. CIF interpretation is students and coaches WILL participate in only one cohort at any time.
Bylaw 600 is NOT in effect. Athletes may play club and high school at the same time and must be communicated to athletes and parents. The only exception is the sport of football. Due to safety regulations resulting from AB 2127, AB 1 and CIF bylaws, students will not be allowed to participate on a HS football team and a club football team at the same time.
Transportation: Parents or guardians are only allowed to transport student-athletes or if student drives they can drive themselves. Only people living in a household can drive together to conditioning, practices and competitions.
- There are still questions about fans, use of indoor facilities, and other protocols.
Golden Empire League
- The goal is to focus on league play only
- For this year only no Freshman-only sports teams, the focus will be on JV and Varsity only.
- The month of February conditioning is open for all sports following district phase 1 guidelines.
- Coaches certs must be complete:
- COVID Plan submitted and approved
- Student-Athletes Cleared on Home Campus
- Parent Meeting explaining guidelines
- Starting March 1st, the only sports practicing/playing are those “in season one”.
- Starting April 19th, the only sports practicing/playing are those “in season two”.
- The league should have schedules by February 8th. Below is the breakdown of the seasons.